How to find out what is your proxy server and port
How to find out what is your proxy server and port? Our system administrator, having heard such question, only shook his head and recalled a case from his practice, when such experiments of one of the employees “shut out” the company’s local network for several days. Therefore, instead of risky attempts to find information on your own, it is still better to read this article to the end and do everything correctly and accurately. It’s actually quite simple.
Let’s start with the basics
But before we talk about anything specific, we should at least briefly deal with the theory. When surfing the Internet, proxy servers are most often used to stay anonymous and invisible online. And this is the first security condition. Here are the most common ways to achieve this:
- Paid proxy servers (obviously, we put them on the first place). They redirect all traffic from the user’s computer, after which it is almost impossible to track its movement on the network.
- You can choose from a variety of commercial utilities like Cyberghost or SecurityKISS, but the traffic in the free version will be granted at a snail’s pace.
- Special browser versions. With the introduction of blocking of many popular resources, the Tor browser, which operates on the basis of many free proxy servers, has become widely popular. The option is far from ideal, but if there is no other way, it is quite possible to use it.
Everything is clear here. But still how to find out what is your proxy server? So that you don’t goof up, let us also tell you what exactly the concept of a port and a network address means.
Proxy server address and port: understanding the basics
If we draw an analogy with ordinary letters, through which our parents were forced to communicate before the invention of the Internet, it turns out that the address is the “where” line on the envelope, and the port is the “to” line. However, unlike traditional mail, we need precise values, but not general phrases like “to the grandfather’s village”.
An address is a set of four 3-digit numbers (from 0 to 255) of the form “192.168.0.254”. Basically, this is the “village” where we want to send the letter. Next, after the two-spot, there is another number in the range from 0 to 65535 – our dear “grandfather”.
How to find out what is your proxy server and port: the answer to the question
Now you are savvy, and we are ready to put the matter. There are several options:
- ru Service. Going to this resource, you will receive comprehensive information about how to connect your computer to the Internet. But if you use anonymous access technology when accessing the Internet, it is almost impossible to know the actual address of the proxy server and the port number.
- In your browser settings. Each browser has its own. For instance, in the “favorite” Internet Explorer, relevant information is hidden here: “Internet Options” – “Connection” – “Settings”. (follow the link to learn about setting up a proxy in Firefox)
- In the OS settings. Here, a lot depends on the Windows version and the “skills” of a person who set it up. If the “correct” hands.sys driver was used (and this is by no means always the case), then in Windows 10, this information is located at the path: “Settings” – “Network and Internet” – “Proxy” (we recommend to learn – Setting up a proxy server in Windows 10).
After the proxy address has been determined (or this proxy has not been registered at all), the user often comes to the conclusion that it would be possible to change the server to a more reliable one. Here we are ready to give one obvious advice, ignored by many...
... choose paid proxy servers!
They are much more stable than free analogues, because if you want to remain anonymous, traveling across the expanses of the World Wide Web, you should prefer them. Simply put, such a server will function longer, and the probability of its sudden shutdown is extremely low (after all, you paid for this service!). You can buy proxies from many sellers (there are a lot of them now), but pay attention to the stability of a proxy server.
Free version is also a good option, but, switching to it, you actually trust your network security to God knows who. And if you compare this work scheme to a paid proxy server, all the parameters of which are initially known, the arguments in favor of “sweet vinegar” will be much less. At least, if stability for you is not an empty word.
So, we have told not only about how to find out what is your proxy server and port, but also a lot of related useful information. We were glad to help you.